I always found this question to be difficult. I can’t remember how many times I felt after moving to another country, “This is the last one! I am moving back to the United States after this!”
Attributes That Are Helpful
You do need certain attributes to make it as a foreign teacher. I think the top five are the most important and will always make a transition easier. Even if you lack one of the top 5, this attribute can be improved and challenged in different settings. You grow as a person living abroad!
- Willingness to rely on someone or be the person someone can rely on.
These five traits will help you get through the rough patches of “This is it!” Becuase every new country always will have a new set of challenges.
Questions You Should Ask Yourself
1. Do I enjoy being outside my comfort zone?
2. Do I enjoy and want to travel on a teacher salary?
3. Am I brave enough to leave comforts behind in order to experience something new, exciting and different?
4. Am I comfortable meeting new people?
5.Will I be okay if I do not like people at my school?
If you answered yes to all these questions, I would believe international teaching is right for you! Still confused and you have other questions. Send them over to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.